Friday, April 19, 2013

Vintage Crochet Doily Pattern - Venus


The beginning of March I had rounded third base and thought I was homeward bound about to finish this doily, only to come to the end of the thread spool and find I didn't have the right color to finish it :(. Womp. Womp. After a bit of deliberation and annoyance of the nearly done project ( I must finish it! :) ) I decided I would pick up the white thread after all and finish the doily. Call it an ombre doily ;).




I'm currently contemplating if I should tea dye this and really give it an aged look, but I'm not 100% sure where I'd then use the doily. White and cream offset the surroundings in our home rather well, so... I'm on the fence. For now the doily is not starched. I'll let you know what I decide to to with it. :)

The pattern is called #9 Venus Doily by Magic Crochet and I was able to read the tattered leaflet that was wrapped around the spool! ☺

I used Aunt Lydia's Size 10 thread and size 6 /1.80MM crochet hook for this doily - I hope you like it!

*****

UPDATE 9/8/13: 

My brother and his fiance recently bought a house and while I couldn't be there to help them move I wanted to do something for them. They asked if I could make something for them and when I asked what they'd like a doily was mentioned. Because of the history of the Venus doily and both my brother and his fiance knowing the woman who started the doily and I finished it, I decided this was the doily to give them - it could definitely serve as a family heirloom with all the sentimental value it has behind it. I had also worked on the doily while visiting home for my grandpa's funeral in February.  I finished the doily while we made our way back to VA from Grandma's funeral in April. 

The doily is 24 inches wide - and I didn't start or tea dye it. I know my soon to be sister in law will get use of it though. :) I'm excited to send it off to them!

2 comments:

  1. This is so beautiful! I want to make this into a soft and fluffy blanket!!
    Would you mind sharing the pattern?
    Thank you in advance,
    Marta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marta!

      This would be so amazing as a blanket! Please contact me at dawnmpearson @ gmail.com

      Thank you, Dawn

      Delete

Comments are the best! Please feel free to say hello and join the conversation. :) I always love hearing from old, new and familiar faces ;)
♥ Dawn

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...