Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Low Carb Broccoli Cheese Soup for the Crock Pot

Um, can you say yum? Because if you can't you'll learn to after tasting this recipe. Or else! ;) 0:) ...just kidding.. it really is yummy though.. okay? :) Just try it...

This is comfort food at its best, you'll be feeling snug as a bug in a rug sipping on creamy cheesy goodness and chewing on broccoli bits (are you saying yum yet?! ;)) definitely a recipe to use on those rainy or snowy days...





What you'll need:

8 oz cream cheese
1 1/2 c heavy whipping cream
1 1/2 c water
1 1/2 c freshly shredded cheese
1 package frozen chopped broccoli
3 - 4 cubes chicken bouillon
1/2 tsp pepper

NOTE: I used mild sharp cheddar and honestly, getting a block of cheese and shredding it yourself makes the best cheese to use in this recipe, if you get preshredded cheese it doesn't melt quite the same. In the end this is YOUR recipe - make it as you please ;).

Place all your broccoli in a microwave safe bowl - place in microwave and cook for 8 - 10 minutes.

While the broccoli is heating up add all the other ingredients to the crockpot.

When you take the broccoli out make sure to use hot pads - the bowl will be hot!

Grab a potato masher and mash the broccoli bits, (the more you mash, the thicker your soup will be.... yum? :) Once they are mashed to your liking transfer them to the crockpot. Realize too that the broccoli will continue to cook and soften once in the crockpot. Feel free to mash them bits more later! ;)

Cook on low for 1- 2 hours stirring occasionally. Enjoy and say YUM! :D

Let me know how you like it and how it turned out for you! Happy cooking! xo ~Dawn

*****

Looking for more Low Carb soups or crock pot recipes? 
Since posting this recipe I've started a foodie blog! 

Find more low carb SOUPS HERE. 

Find more low carb CROCK POT RECIPES HERE. 

*****

19 comments:

  1. Hi there, I just wanted to let you know that I am a broc-ched soup fanatic... I made this last night for dinner... probably THE best recipe I have used yet! Best part it's just as good if not better when being heated up for lunch the next day! Thank YOU for sharing this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! :) So glad you liked it! :) I love how the broccoli just gets softer and softer but still holds up enough after being cooked and reheated that you have some substance to chew on. :) What can I say I'm big on texture ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just made this soup and it is so good! I added some extra cheese because I like it super cheesy, but other than that I stuck to the recipe and it turned out great! I don't even feel like I'm dieting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laura! :) I'm so glad to hear you liked it! More cheese is always a good idea ;) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. I just wanted to know about how many people this served. It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emeric, I think it's safe to say this makes 4-5 servings. I hope you like it!! :)

      Delete
  5. Hi Dawn-me again :)

    Do you think I could substitute 2% milk for the heavy cream for this recipe? Pretty much I am a beginner cook, so I am not really sure what the "rules" are for substituting milk for a cream.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beth! :) Yes, feel free to substitute the heavy cream with the exact amount of milk. If you feel the soup isn't creamy enough for you though, consider putting in a tablespoon of sour cream in addition, or 1/2 Tsp xanthan gum (this adds fiber :)) to thicken the soup. :)
      Always feel free to ask!! :)

      Delete
    2. I am excited to see you are working your way through some of my recipes :). Thank you again for your comments miss!

      Delete
  6. Just found your site. Looking forward to trying your recipes. Can I substitute fresh broccoli ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello there! :D Thank you for your kind words - I appreciate them! You can definitely substitute fresh broccoli, be mindful of the cook time and be sure to check it until the florets are cooked to the consistency that you like. Also, I branched off of lostsentiments.blogspot.com and started a blog solely for my kitchen adventures if you run out of recipes to try here ;). The new blog for recipes is honesttogoodnesseats.blogspot.com . Thank you again for your kind words miss! :) Happy baking, cooking & creating!!!

      Delete
  7. Do you have the nutritional information on this soup? Planning on making it tomorrow but need the net carbs and calories? Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Megan! I leave the nutritional information off purposely because it varies from brand to brand, etc. I suggest looking at the food items package and get out the calculator. This probably isn't the answer you were hoping for though - sorry! I hope your family likes the soup!! Best, Dawn

      Delete
    2. Thanks that's what I figured just double checking, new to this way of life!

      Delete
    3. :D You bet! Looking at the ingredients is really important in this way of life. There are sneaky companies who like to throw in fillers. Shredding your own block of cheese will help alleviate possible fillers in this recipe. Pre shredded cheeses sometimes come with a starch to keep it from caking.

      Delete
  8. Hi...I a, really looking forward to trying this recipe! The packages of frozen chopped brocoli I bought are 10 oz packages. Is that enough brocoli or should I use 2? Thanks:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi There Jill!

      Great question :) If you want a creamier soup, only use one package. If you love the broccoli (or just want more veggies! :)) toss them both in. You should be fine with the one bag though. Enjoy! :)

      Delete
  9. Hello instead of chicken bouillon can I just used 3-4 cups chicken broth?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello instead of chicken bouillon can I just used 3-4 cups chicken broth?

    ReplyDelete

Comments are the best! Please feel free to say hello and join the conversation. :) I always love hearing from old, new and familiar faces ;)
♥ Dawn

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...